Natural gas has become a widespread energy source because it’s highly combustible, which means that it can produce large amounts of heat when you burn small amounts. Consequently, a natural gas leak can increase the risk of fire and explosion since it spreads quickly and combusts easily.
If you suspect a natural gas leak inside of your home,
- Immediately stop what you’re doing
- Do not flip any electrical switches,
- Do not unplug anything or use a telephone
- Do not smoke or use any open flames.
- Get a safe distance away from the house, and then call 911 and the utility company.
Inhaling high concentrations can also lead to asphyxia (when the body is deprived of oxygen) and possibly death. Early symptoms of asphyxia include fatigue and chest pain.
Gas leaks in the home can be easily prevented by ensuring that flexible gas lines are inspected regularly and installed properly by licensed professionals.
Contact 911 Plumbing Services today to schedule a safety inspection of your natural gas lines.